The United States created the TN visa based upon the NAFTA Treaty signed in 1993 between Mexico, the United States, and Canada. The TN visa was specifically created for citizens of Mexico and Canada coming into the United States to work. The visa is an excellent way to get to work in the U.S. since it only requires a small amount of paperwork and offers a lot of flexibility in how you can get approved for this visa.
Before applying for a TN visa, you should first meet a few basic requirements. They are as follows:
● Citizen of Canada or Mexico;
● Individual must be a professional with specific education;
● The position in the United States must normally require a professional; and
● Must have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer.
Many clients contact us to ask about Management Analyst positions for a TN visa application. Management analyst is classed as a Schedule 2 professional, and as such, it does qualify for TN visa status, regardless of whether the position is temporary, fixed, part-time, or periodic.
Management analysts are responsible for helping businesses and organizations improve their overall performance across multiple departments and specialties. They usually do so by analyzing the organization’s current model and strategies, and then creating plans for how the organization can improve its administration, long-term goals, procedures, and guidelines. Due to the short-term nature of this work, management analysts are not usually hired as permanent employees.
Applicants seeking a Management Analyst TN visa must possess either a Bachelor’s or Licenciatura degree, or professional experience relevant to the field.
Be warned, though, that applicants applying for a TN visa will be highly scrutinized and that the qualification process has some extremely specific evidentiary requirements. We advise, at a minimum, the following evidence:
1. A detailed description of anticipated business activities or job responsibilities;
2. Anticipated length of stay in the United States;
3. Hard copies of your educational qualifications or appropriate credentials demonstrating professional status;
4. Arrangements for wages/salary.
You may also be asked to provide professional evaluations documenting a minimum of five years of work experience in the management analysis industry. If your experience is not directly within management analysis, Consulates and Embassies may also consider five years of work experience in a field related to whatever the applicable consulting agreement is.
When applying for a management analyst TN visa, you will be expected to work as an independent contractor. You may, and should, become an employee of a consulting firm under a specified contract. This position does not have to exist as a permanent position, nor does it have to be a position replacing or filling someone else’s role.
Before applying, understand that the application process will differ depending on your nationality. Please follow the instructions below, based on your home country.
● Canadian citizens may apply for a TN visa at a border crossing;
● Canadian citizens must present a letter of invitation to a job based in the United States;
● The job to which you are invited must be recognized under the 1993 NAFTA agreement;
● Canadian citizens may present copies of their qualifications, licensing, and degrees;
● You must show proof of Canadian citizenship
● Canadian citizens may extend their visa at the border or have their employer file a petition with the USCIS
● Mexican citizens may not apply for a TN visa at a border crossing;
● Mexican citizens must apply for a TN visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy;
● Mexican citizens must present a letter of invitation to a job based in the United States;
● The job to which you are invited must be recognized under the 1993 NAFTA agreement
● Mexican citizens may present copies of their qualifications, licensing, and degrees
● You must show proof of Mexican citizenship
● If approved for a TN visa, you must then apply for admission at a port of entry into the United States.
● If applying for an extension, Mexican citizens must have their employer submit a petition with the USCIS
Regardless of citizenship, if you are approved for a TN visa, you can live and work in the United States for a period of three years at a time. After those three years are up, you may extend your visa for another three years. There is no limit to the number of times you can extend a TN visa, but you must be able to show reasonable cause and intent to leave the United States at some time in the future.
If you wish to bring your spouse and children to the United States, they will be allowed to enter, but they will have TD status, rather than TN status. TD status does not grant them the authority to work in the United States.
Before applying for a TN visa, understand that there is no lottery system in place for granting these visas. TN visas are one of the most widely applied for visas in the United States, as there is arguably no limit to the number of years you can spend working on a TN visa.
We have had success with securing TN visas for Engineering Tech positions but be warned it is not as easy as a normal TN. We are able to win our clients access to TN visas because we are very specific about what you need to qualify for this type of case. If you believe that you are eligible for a TN visa as an engineering tech, we can help you build your case and prepare the exact documentation needed to submit a successful application. For more information on how we can help you get approved for a TN visa for Engineer Tech, please do not be shy about reaching out to us. We are experienced and skilled at helping professional workers meet the qualifications to work in the United States.